How to Transform a House into a Home
Shifting to a new place? Haunted by the looks of the new house? Nostalgic about your old home? Well you have come to the right station!!!!
Most people who shift to a new place or buy a new home are in a dilemma. They are surrounded by dismantled furniture, confused with unpacked luggage and tired with the journey of shifting. Sometimes, no, most of the time, people start thinking they were better off in their old homes where they at least knew what was kept where.
Don’t worry if this is happening to you. It’s happened to me and it happens with everyone else. So, it’s a consolation that you are not the only one going through this puzzle. Some people take months to settle down in their new place and then, if it’s a rent-on property, they have to move again! So if you want to change this four-walled apartment into a home as soon as possible – read on!
1) Begin room by room. Choose a place where you and your family can spend the night in comfort. Of course it won’t be the kichen or storage! Choose a bedroom which seems small, but cozy enough to accommodate you all. Begin with it.
2) Cleaning is most important! Cleaning an empty room is easier as there is no furniture to move around. Clean the place thoroughly and look for any missing tiles or holes in the walls or crevices. Fill them up immediately and then move in the furniture. Make sure that the furniture is clean too.
3) Once you have made a single room inhabitable, it’s better that you rest for a while and take a look around. Think about what should be kept where and make a list of anything else that you may need. In big families, there is always a fight for beds, rooms and other stuff. As the head of the family, distribute stuff and make it your final decision. You will not want any fights while you’re arranging the house!
4) In fact, if the family is big, it is wisest to distribute work among each member. But be sure that you are constantly supervising. Sometimes too many cooks spoil the broth.
5) After you are done with the cleaning and furniture arrangement, it’s time to arrange your clothes, books and other accessories. If you have a problem of keeping stuff and forgetting, make a list of important things and where they’re kept.
6) Priorities are vital. We know you love gardening and just can’t wait to plant your rose pot in the backyard, but the stomach asks for food! Begin with your bedroom, then arrange your kitchen, then your living room and lobby. Storage, garage and garden can come in the end.
7) A house can never become a home without human touch. After all the initial setting is completed, try and go for some home decor like paintings, ornaments and flower vases. These will enhance the feeling of belongingness in you.
Finally a home is a place where your heart is! Invite guests – friends and family, so that you can share with them your new home and the happiness associated with it.
Written by:- Mr. Afrin Abbas